Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  Oil and Gas: The Move from Documents to Data

Posted 06-05-2015 04:48

Thank you for the presentation Neale. Really good.

Regarding slide 15 - Despite the move to value creation & analytics should there still be some level of Governance in IM?

If there is a 100% move from IM Governance to value creation & analytic, I agree that we would have the tools available to make key decisions, save time etc..but on the flip side would no governance result in a situation where IM information being used in an 'uncontrolled manner' impacting costs to other it elements like servers (ie users saving items on network drives as opposed to ECM Applications) because the technology would present the user with what they need anyway?

Thanks

Tita

------------------------------
    Tita Atang
    Senior Consultant
    Venture Information Management
    Nexus House,
    Station Road,
    Egham,
    Surrey,
    TW20 9LB
    United Kingdom

• 2.  RE: Oil and Gas: The Move from Documents to Data

Posted 06-06-2015 08:37

Thanks Tita,

I would say that governance is vital, but it is not the thing you should 'sell' to the organisation. Rather it is the essential element which supports value creation and analytics. Too much focus on governance in itself reinforces the sense that IM is about record keeping, filing and back office activities. These are of course necessary but do not attract enthusiastic support. If we treat that as the foundation or building block it is what we do with the information that really counts. Who would want to see a business with beautifully organised information that fails due to a lack of smart interpretation of that information. This applies to engineering information, corporate information, G&G, in fact everything. For example, you could have a great store of seismic data, but what really counts is how that data is modelled and interpreted. That is what will lead to a discovery and raise the value of the business. In IM I say we should be much more direct in our approach to finding value in the information. Help the business mine that information!

Regards,

Neale

Neale Stidolph
    Head of Information Management
    Lockheed Martin
    Aberdeen
    United Kingdom
    +441224649999

• 3.  RE: Oil and Gas: The Move from Documents to Data

Posted 06-16-2015 04:00

Thanks Neale. Yes that makes sense! The scenario of companies not knowing what data sets they have which in some cases can have financial implications (ie repurchasing the data sets) is a risk in IM and yes I agree with you in that mining that data will add more value definitely and save time and money. Hopefully we can chat some more at the AIIM Forum next week.

Thanks

Tita

Tita Atang
    Senior Consultant
    Venture Information Management
    Egham

• 4.  RE: Oil and Gas: The Move from Documents to Data

Posted 06-17-2015 06:22

Sure, let's talk at the AIIM UK Forum. Anyone else planning on being there from the oil & gas world? We could all meet up.