Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 04-30-2020 09:58
    Has anyone noticed that people are anxious to start up a conversation and make a connection during these pandemic times? 
    I take off for a half hour here and there throughout the workday and go for a walk.  I am seeing many of the same people on my walks and now we look for each for other and stop for five minutes to talk about working remotely or being furloughed, while social distancing of course.  I met several new people this way and developed new connections that I don't imagine would have happened otherwise.

------------------------------
    Lorelei Chernyshov, CIP, IGP
    Merrick Bank
    Assistant Vice President, Information Governance

• 2.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-01-2020 11:17
      |   view attached
    Here's what you get in Newport Beach where they don't believe in social distancing

Julie Harvey

• 3.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-01-2020 13:04
    Wow!  At least the message is clear.  Interesting how people see the containment effort to protect people as an attack on their freedom of movement.  I saw a homeless man being put in ambulance by two medical staff in what looked like white hazmat suits the other day.  The danger and risk to others as well as ourselves is real.  Err on the side of caution given lives are at stake makes sense to me.

Merrick Bank

• 4.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-01-2020 15:01

I agree such different perspectives.. I am not an extremist nor live in fear but cautiously respectful of those that are high risk. I wouldn't want to be inconsiderate of those in that risk category but I'm also torn .. it's time to get back to life. I look at the metrics .. 

so I leave you all with this positive Power statement.. 
    I turn toward and embrace what is so in my life with unconditional love and an open heart. I am loving towards myself and others and respond with generosity and kindness in response to imperfections. 

Here's to coming out on the other side with greater kindness, acceptance and humility. Virtual hugs 

Julie Harvey

• 5.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-04-2020 06:35
    I am confused how a beach can be closed but hiking trails is fine.  Cant you do social distancing at a beach?  Do you think maybe that is the message?  Did you ask the person why they are so angry.  I thought when I logged in to see the post I'd see a whole slew of people all huddled together.  I see empty chairs and someone angry about the beach being closed.  Just a thought...from a different perspective.

Mary Margaret Allegro
    Executive Administrator
    American Society of Civil Engineers

• 6.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-04-2020 11:06
    You are right about "confusing" the lack of consistency and consistent messaging creates chaos. We are all in the business of clarity / defining rules and guidelines to reduce chaos :)

As for the angry guy... his place is a vacation rental which is how he makes his money, with beaches closed and no short term rental allowed that is why he is angry. There are plenty of other patios with lots of folks gathering.. those homes that are owner occupied.

I just didn't stop to take their picture 😁

Julie Harvey

• 7.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-01-2020 11:47
    Sorry I probably should not have posted th at.. I walked out my door this am to go for a walk and this was on my neighbors patio .. I think I'm the only one in the hood trying to follow social distancing as a result I'm sheltered even more so. Going a little crazy for sure

Julie Harvey

• 8.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home
    Best Answer

Posted 05-07-2020 09:02
    @Julie Harvey for sure not the only one going a little crazy!  I am feeling it over here, and so is my 14 year old son.  I got to a point the other day I felt like saying screw it, but my son is still very scared and doesn't want to break quarantine.  I find that walking in the park has helped my emotional state so much better than just walking in my neighborhood.  I get a lot more out of it. There is no shortage of a need for human interaction here and the confusion and stir crazy isn't lost on me! 

@Lorelei Chernyshov I find that pull toward strangers and the pull away... some people almost move so far away on the trails while walking they are willing to chance falling in the creek to get as far as possible on the other side, while others say hi and have a caring look that says if I could hug you right now I would!

Times are tough, I try to let everyone have their outlet, we are all in a state of unknown.  We wont know for some time how we should have played things out.  For me, I am just trying to keep my kids and I mentally healthy while those in charge are working hard to have a solution and a vaccine.  I will continue to do my part, show up to work (from home), give the kids what they need for school and quality time, create zoom meetings for them with their friends and our family, and stay positive.  ​​​I am 100% missing human contact and I am sending everyone a virtual hug, because that is something we can all use more of!  

Shoshanah Miller
    Sr. Account Manager
    Feith Systems

• 9.  RE: Making New Acquaintances Working from Home

Posted 05-11-2020 22:04
    Your experiences are mine as well.  I have had two book club friends over on my back patio.  They each brought over their camp chair, mask, hand sanitizer, food, and drink.  We sat ten feet apart.  Then someone had to use the restroom.  So we worked a process with Clorox wipes, designated soap and a clear path.  Then we sat for over three hours just being incredulous by the circumstances and wishing we had thought of bringing Scotch and shot glasses.

Merrick Bank