Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-21-2019 10:30
    ​Good morning!   I have recently started a new role with a company that doesn't seem to care much about records management (surprise!).  The reporting structure has the role under IT/ IT infrastructure/ Cybersecurity.  From what I can see the previous RM manager did a lot of good work to promote RM in the organization but it didn't go anywhere.  The company is currently implementing O365 with SharePoint as the records repository.  What I am looking for is for examples of how you got your company to understand the importance of RIM.  I know the usual talk on retention, search, legal and regulatory compliance but I am looking for something that would relate to everyone.  Thanks in advance, looking forward to your reponses!

------------------------------
    Linda Brooks
    Owner
    LMB Consulting Ltd.

• 2.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-22-2019 08:48

I have always had good luck with sharing stories of how the right material needed for a project or decision was found in the records/archives. I think the biggest key to success is knowing your audience and tailoring the story or message. While the legal reasons should be enough for anyone, it often isn't. An understanding of how a good records program supports your job specifically and can make your life easier or provide you with better protection resonates more.

Good luck!

Rosemary

Rosemary Pleva Flynn, C.A.
    Principal Librarian and Team Lead, EERC Library & Information Services

Energy & Environmental Research Center | University of North Dakota
    15 North 23rd Street, Stop 9018 | Grand Forks, ND 58202-9018

Phone: 701-777-5134 | EERC Library: 701-777-5132 | Fax: 701-777-5181
    E-Mail: rflynn@... | eerclibrary@...

• 3.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-22-2019 10:18
    Hi Linda:

Our office had absolutely no records management component until 5-6 years ago when they purchased an electronic document management system (EDMS) and we still have a long, long ways to go, however, during my work in getting their EDMS set up and running and overseeing it since, I came across another municipality here in Alberta that I was very impressed by!

The Town of Okotoks in Alberta hired a consultant to look at all of their records in all of their locations and come up with a plan on how to move forward with records management, electronic records of all kinds!  They kept this consultant on full time for a number of years, working with them in making better use of their EDMS and in determining what software/hardware/services should be used for what, what should be scrapped, what should be reorganized, creating new policies and procedures, etc.  

The step they took that I was most impressed with was that no one in the organization was to get approval for any purchases relating to records (software/hardware/services) unless they consulted with their EDMS, because that product was being under utilized because most people did not realize the power of the Forms with reporting options and Workflow components that came with the product.  Even our office still does this wrong.  We have third party software that could have been built into our EDMS saving not only the purchase price, but also the monthly services charges and yearly license charges that are necessary with each one.  I don't know if this is happening in your office, but this can make a huge difference in streamlining, simplifying for everyone, and saving money in the long run.

Bottom line, if the head of your organization does not realize that improvements need to be done, then it will be difficult to make any change.  I hope someone here will have some great comments that you can use to get you started on the path you envision needs to happen!

Connie Prendergast
    Records Management Clerk
    Flagstaff County
    Sedgewick, AB CANADA

• 4.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-23-2019 11:12
    ​Hello Linda,

I have found that the users respond very well to RM if you provide a robust search for the them so they can find their files using different categories provided in the meta data - for instance, vendor, type of file, dept. etc. so their searches can be narrowed down. This in turn helps record retention tag record series in an automated system.  This way the record manager has control of the files and the users are happy because they can easily and quickly find all of their documents.

Anita Castle
    ECRM Manager
    EDF Renewables, Inc.

• 5.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-24-2019 08:17
    I'm in marketing at DocuWare where we offer EDM solutions in the cloud or on-premises (I'm not here to sell you; just offering advice).

I would recommend taking a look at a cloud-based solution which offers many advantages like a quick on ramp, less expense because no extra hardware is needed, and it offers workflow and AI to help with faster and easier storage and retrieval of information. Over half the solutions we implement are in the cloud because the user only needs a browser to use the solution; this is not the future of EDMS but it's here now and many organizations, including municipalities, have opted in as it streamlines their processes for better efficiency when having a lean budgets.

Mary Williams
    Marketing Communications Manager
    DocuWare PRIME

• 6.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-22-2019 10:30
    Linda, I wonder if this webinar AIIM is presenting would be helpful for you to take part in:

BEST PRACTICES IN INTELLIGENT INFORMATION MANAGEMENT:
    FOCUS ON CONTENT SERVICES
    AN AIIM VIRTUAL EVENT

Thursday, June 27th

Join us on Thursday, June 27th from 11am-3pm EDT to watch popular AIIM19 sessions focusing on Content Services. Our impressive speakers will be with us live to answer your questions, as well as:

• What are the key drivers motivating the use of Content Services technologies?
    • What obstacles do users face during the acquisition and implementation of Content Services?
    • What business results have they achieved through Content Services?
    • How has this impacted the organization's overall IIM plans and processes?
    • With the use of Content Services, what's next in building their organizational roadmap?

Connie Prendergast
    Records Management Clerk
    Flagstaff County
    Sedgewick, AB CANADA

• 7.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-22-2019 14:18
    Hi,
    You have to get the support from senior leaders first before you try to implement a RIM program. Without that, no one will take you seriously. Your presentation should begin with the risks and large fines for RIM violations. Money talks.

Sent from my iPhone

• 8.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-28-2019 15:37
    Hi Linda,

While a RIM program may have challenges getting attention in an organization, what I have found to be effective is to focus on the value of records management in the context of business process improvement.  A defined, effective program will not only minimize risk from a compliance perspective, but also has the potential to create more efficiency in everyday decision-making tasks which ultimately saves departments and organizations money.  Whether you are in the private sector answering to shareholders or the public sector accountable to taxpayers, efficient use of organizational resources is attractive to everyone.  ​

Carah Koch, CIP
    Director, Enterprise Content Management
    Metropolitan Council

• 9.  RE: How do you talk about the importance of RIM?

Posted 05-29-2019 08:59

It may not always work, but what I've done in the past is to dive into what the group/company/team does, what is their reason for existing?  From there, I look for examples in their past of issues or difficulties that have come up solely due to poor RIM, and then provide examples of how implementing good RIM can alleviate those issues from reoccurring.  It's important to make RIM relate to their business – "What's in it for me?", and "Why should I care?", if you cannot answer those questions without going down the RIM path of compliancy and legislation, you'll lose them.

In short, find out where their pain points are, and recommend solutions by implementing good RIM.