Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  How to Leverage GIS

Posted 04-30-2015 10:49

Brad, Thank you for posting your slides. I was unable to access Join.Me so I listened to your presentation without the benefit of your visuals.

When you have deployed the configuration and process that you described, cal you tell us what group within the client company led the search for a solution to the problem that they were experiencing? Was it Records and Information Management? IT? Some combination?

I believe that you said that new, unstructured files are classified by the information creator when they are saved. Am I correct? If so, what has been your experience with knowledge worker compliance when entering/creating new content files? What methods have you used to increase that compliance?

------------------------------
    Vickie Malis
    Director, Global Solutions - Energy
    Iron Mountain PRIME
    Boston MA
    (617)535-4729

• 2.  RE: How to Leverage GIS

Posted 04-30-2015 11:59

Vickie,

Great Questions....  My Responses below.

1. "what group within the client company led the search for a solution to the problem that they were experiencing?"  We were already the trusted advisor for this company and worked with the IT group to integrate a custom solution with their mixture of commerical applications.
    2. "I believe that you said that new, unstructured files are classified by the information creator when they are saved. Am I correct?"  Yes, the person who creates the document is the one who saves the information.
    3. If so, what has been your experience with knowledge worker compliance when entering/creating new content files?  The ECM tool allows one to identify which meta data items are required in order to save the document.  Thus we can ensure that the minimum information is entered.  However, the most success that we've had is in getting data from the structured data and pulling it across as meta data.  This way by simply point to a record, a large number of attributes are pulled from the system of record to the meta data.  Thus very little work is required to provide a meta data rich environment for that particular type of document.
    4. What methods have you used to increase that compliance? Of course their are corporate policies and procedures which are in place dictating that all files will be stored in the ECM.  Additional, there is very limited access to the file server so that the storage medium of choice is the ECM.  We have obtained buy in by all senior management, and thus everyone expects to find data using the ECM.  Additionally the implementation of work flows in the ECM. Finally additional policies include the use of links to the documents (The ECM can be instantiated and thus opened to the correct document by simply using a hyperlink) so that they are not embedded in emails.

If you have further questions, please feel free to give me a call.

Brad Nickle, Sr.
    Executive Vice President
    The Strickland Group
    Fort Worth TX
    (817)338-0800 (101)