Generally I am writing in German in this blog of the DACH community, but this topic might be as well of interest to some non-German speakers.The Impact of BREXIT on AIIM Europe
AIIM has been active in Europe for quite a long time. The European headquarters are located in Worcester, UK. AIIM Europe is offering their services from the UK. On March 29th, 2019, the United Kingdom will be no longer part of the European Union.
In fact, AIIM Europe was always focussing on the UK with its roadshows, courses and other services. Outside UK AIIM had only few benefits and services to offer, largely relying on local partners and some enthusiastic AIIM fans. English as common language facilitator between US and UK restricted activities and acknowledgement of AIIM in the rest of Europe. AIIM Europe was in fact AIIM UK.
Now the UK is leaving the European Union and this will reduce the influence of AIIM in Europe even more. There are some operational considerations like:
- new form of invoices and pricing due to tax laws,
- change of Terms & Conditions because they are no longer covered by European law but by Bristish law,
- full implementation of GDPR although UK leavers the European Union, because otherwise personal data of European AIIM members are no longer allowed to be stored in systems in the UK,
- contracts for participating AIIM members from the European Union states in events in the UK.
And there are some general considerations in regard to benefits and services:
- what kind of services and benefits can AIIM offer to AIIM members in the European Union from a foreign country, no longer member of the European Union? AIIM Europe will have the same foreign status as AIIM international in the US.
To wait for a "soft BREXIT" where contracts cover as well services is a hope in vain. The UK just installed a state secretary with the only task to prepare for a hard BREXIT. As well officials in the European Council now take on considerations how to handle a "hard BREXIT" with no deal. So AIIM should prepare for these changes - operational as well strategically. #BREXIT#AIIM
Renaming AIIM Europe into AIIM UK?
Starting a new approach inside the European Community?
Redesigning the offerings for European AIIM members?
Closing down AIIM Europe to run all operations from the US?
March 2019 is only 14 month away.