Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  Mobility Landscape in Oil and Gas

Posted 10-16-2015 04:06
      |   view attached

Hi All,

I have attached an interesting info graph about the Mobility Landscape from a data access perspective in Oil and Gas. Unsurprisingly security still comes up as the main deterrent to companies issuing mobile devices. Another interesting result is that 40% of organizations will not be spending on mobile applications in 2016. I still think there will be a requirement for mobile access. What do you think? Do the survey results relate to your organizations?

------------------------------
    Tita Atang
    Senior Consultant
    Venture Information Management

Attachment(s)

pdf
    MobilityLandscape.cfm.pdf   4.13 MB 1 version

• 2.  RE: Mobility Landscape in Oil and Gas

Posted 10-19-2015 07:12

Hi Tita,

a very topical discussion indeed. Looking at my own company and others in the industry, I am not surprised that security is "barrier #1" for more mobile. I do also recognize connectivity issues, as especially in Upstream we are often operating in remote locations where connectivity is an issue(network availability at all, the bandwidth available and the stability of the network).

I would have expected that connecting with legacy systems would also be an issue, by the way. Crucial internal legacy systems are often hard to connect to other systems and require work arounds.

I look forward to hear from others as well!

Best regards,

Dennie

Dennie Heye
    Business Analyst Information Management
    Royal Dutch Shell

• 3.  RE: Mobility Landscape in Oil and Gas

Posted 10-19-2015 09:44
    Great dicussion; As a vendor that supplies mobile technology in the area of procedure management, we find that not only are security and connectivity issues, but spark risk has also been noted as a safety factor. With current day battery technology this seems to be an issue. We find that although the technology is available for mobile, the old fashion print must always be an viable option in the area of procedures.