Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only

"We're (Not Really) Fine"​: The Disproportionate Effect of Pandemic Burnout on Female Leaders - Article Discussion

• 1.  "We're (Not Really) Fine"​: The Disproportionate Effect of Pandemic Burnout on Female Leaders - Article Discussion

Posted 11-19-2020 15:58
    Hi Ladies, 
    I am sharing a link to a LinkedIn article I felt might be of interest to this community.  I am really interested to hear your thoughts on the article, if you can relate, or what you see as inaccurate.

"We're (Not Really) Fine"​: The Disproportionate Effect of Pandemic Burnout on Female Leaders
    Linkedin remove preview
    "We're (Not Really) Fine"​: The Disproportionate Effect of Pandemic Burnout on Female Leaders
    Welcome to Vantage Leadership Consulting's newsletter, where we cover timely and important issues in leadership, management, and the workplace. We encourage all of our readers to join in the discussion and to engage with our shared community as we explore what being a "world-class leader" means today.
    View this on Linkedin >

------------------------------
    Cheers,
    adh

• 2.  RE: "We're (Not Really) Fine"​: The Disproportionate Effect of Pandemic Burnout on Female Leaders - Article Discussion

Posted 11-24-2020 09:22
    Thank you, Amy, for the article.  Speaking from my own experience (and not having young children at home), working from home is a work condition I have grown to appreciate.  Initially, and self imposed, I worked long hours because I was already plugged in; when before the delineation from work to home was made during the drive from work.  I have been retraining myself for the past few months and tracking the time I begin work and end work but mostly creating my own flexible hours.  I get up in the morning when it's dark and logon to work.  I work a couple hours before meetings start, dress in my walking clothes, and then get out the house for a long five mile walk between meetings or break it up into two segments.  This is a treat because in the winter months I drive to work in the dark and arrive home in the dark.  Meetings that do not require viewing people or a presentation, I will either attend while walking or in the car en route to run an errand.  I can sit in the car while my cat is in a vet appointment.  All in all, I am appreciating the options.

However, I know in other companies the financial stability is not expressed or is not present.  Others close to me are scrambling to find new jobs that offer more stability and will keep them safe from contracting Covid at work.  Also newer employees will push themselves to essentially be on call 24/7 to make a good impression.  As a leader, it is important to listen and to listen to what is not being said.  Then create clear expectations and express parameters and support options to lessen the burden employees may be placing on themselves.

Lorelei Chernyshov, CIP, IGP
    Merrick Bank
    Assistant Vice President, Information Governance