Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  TRans

Posted 06-03-2016 12:23

Here is a link to a CIO magazine article that I thought might be of benefit to the SIG. While this is a little specific to the Federal Government, I believe there may be some of this that is applicable to the Oil and Gas Industry. Let's discuss this in the discussion thread. 

http://www.cio.com/article/3078555/cloud-computing/federal-cios-need-help-with-legacy-to-cloud-transition.html?token=%23tk.CIONLE_nlt_cio_insider_2016-06-03&idg_eid=89e93c367a60c470779ea18f4a2ece34&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CIO%20Daily%202016-06-03&utm_term=cio_insider#tk.CIO_nlt_cio_insider_2016-06-03

------------------------------
    Betsy Fanning, CIP
    Director, Standards
    AIIM

• 2.  RE: TRans

Posted 06-06-2016 03:59

Thanks for sharing this article Betsy. The title "Federal CIOs need help with legacy-to-cloud transition" reminds me of similar stories from our industry. The following quote also rings a bell for me coming from the oil & gas industry: "Increasingly, CIOs have been looking at a modular, agile model for developing software and applications and shifting away from what's sometimes called the "big-bang" mode, where agencies embark on complex, multi-phase projects that are prone to cost overruns, blown deadlines and often results in a subpar final product."

Do others agree with this? How do you think "we" in the Oil & gas industry are doing with regards to transistioning from legacy to cloud?

Dennie Heye
    AIIM Oil & Gas SIG Leader