AIIM True North

View Only
  • 1.  AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-09-2020 23:12
    AIIM True North would like to invite you to a webinar on November 18, 2020 at 12PM ET.  The presentation will discuss digital ethics for ECM solutions.

Title: Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective
    Description: The session will provide an overview of digital ethics issues that have taken on greater urgency with the rise of emerging technologies such as big data analytics, AI/machine learning, RPA. These issues include data privacy, AI/machine learning and bias, automation and work, and algorithmic opacity, risk and responsibility. It will make a case that these issues are relevant to ECM technologies and practices and that ECM practitioners have an opportunity to provide solutions to these issues. Finally, it will describe how ECM business analysis methods can be combined with ethical analysis to create solutions for organizations confronting ethical and legal risk.

Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2020
    Time: 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM ET

Learning Objective: Participants will:
    • Gain a familiarity with digital ethics issues.
    • Understand their relevance to ECM technologies as both risk areas and market opportunities.
    • Be able to combine business analytical practices with ethical analysis in order to design ethical solutions.

Speaker's Bio: Norman Mooradian is Education Services Lead at Konica Minolta, where he has also serviced as a senior business analyst. He has worked in the ECM field for over 20 years. Norman received a Ph.D. in philosophy from the Ohio State University and has completed graduate courses in legal studies at the University of Illinois. He recently completed the IAPP information privacy professional certification for the US private sector. He has published articles in the area of digital ethics and is the author of Ethics for Records and Information Management (2018, ALA). He is a lecturer at the San Jose State University School of Information.

You can register at the link here.

------------------------------
    Amitabh Srivastav, CIP, IGP, PMP
    Board Member

• 2.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-17-2020 21:38
    Hello Members, just a reminder that the webinar is on Nov 18 at 12 PM ET.  You can register at the link here.

Amitabh Srivastav, CIP, IGP, PMP
    Board Member

• 3.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-18-2020 13:39
    Thanks for the opportunity to present. Attached is a PDF version of the slide deck from the presentation.

[Norman] [Mooradian]
    [Education Services Lead]
    [Konica Minolta]

• 4.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-18-2020 20:41
    Thanks for sharing that presentation, @Norman Mooradian -- it looks like it was a really great talk. I'm sorry that I missed it.

One question that comes to mind as I think about the content you shared is whether ethical choices -- and therefore design choices -- are the same for everyone.

I suspect not, for reasons of culture, politics, and so on. I see that you talked about biases, and I suppose this could be one of those preconditions / priors we bring when making decisions.

What types of challenges or opportunities would this create for people like AIIM members when designing and governing information systems that include some component of machine learning or AI? The 'human in the loop' is a good step for harmonizing AI outputs; what options are there for doing the same thing with ethical outputs?

Thanks for getting me thinking in a new direction!​

Stuart Bailey
    President
    Cannonspark Consulting

• 5.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-19-2020 19:22
    Very interesting points. There are very deep questions about how human rights and high level principles relate to cultural differences and individual preferences. One way to think about it is in terms of generality and abstraction. High level principles mark out value domains. These value domains are shared across cultures, but their realization differs within cultural contexts. So the rules within a society may differ in how they implement higher level rules. This may be because certain values are prioritized differently. Or it may be because there are different institutions. For example, in the U.S., identity theft is regarded as a significant problem. But identity theft only exists against the backdrop of a specific technically enabled financial system. Also, a value like privacy can be held strongly be multiple cultures, but each may differ on what falls within the scope of privacy; that is, cultures may differ (do differ) on what they wish to keep private. The legal scholar Anita Allen addresses this well in her book, Unpopular Privacy.
    For ecm practitioners, we can add value by understanding and incorporating the legal, ethical, business, and cultural contexts of our clients or organizations. This will be particularly important in balancing competing values.

[Norman] [Mooradian]
    [Konica Minolta]

• 6.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-19-2020 11:28
    Hello Norman,

This looks amazing. I loved the info provided. Unfortunately I was not able to attend as planned due to another meeting. I hope you will consider offering this again at a later date. It really does look like an awesome overview of the issues.  I wonder how this fits in with environmental issues. I need to think about our processes in this light and see what ethical issues arise (beyond administrative fairness principles).

Thank you so much for sharing. 

Colleen Loguisto          ​

Colleen Loguisto
    BC Public Service

• 7.  RE: AIIM True North Webinar Nov 18 - Digital Ethics and ECM: A Design Perspective

Posted 11-19-2020 19:12
    Thank you very much. 
    It is my understanding that the presentation was recorded; so either Amitabh or I will add the link to this thread.
    Environmental issues are connected to AI. A number of people research this topic. AI promises public benefits like smart cities (traffic, energy transmission, etc.).  On the other hand, some AI methods require a lot of computing power and data. So as server farms requiring the electricity of a small city are deployed to run machine learning algorithms, AI may also cause environmental problems. Certainly an important topic.

[Norman] [Mooradian]
    [Konica Minolta]