Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  What has Remote Work Done for you?

Posted 07-27-2020 11:04
    Since the onset of the Pandemic, remote work has allowed me to save money and use my time a more wisely.  Some examples are the savings in gas (and other types of transportation, like parking permits and train tickets), gym memberships, food and even coffee.  With those savings I plan to take care of some home repairs. Not to mention being able to catch up with relatives that wouldn't be possible otherwise.  I've been able to spend the time I would be traveling to/from the office on projects that needed attention.  There are talks of blended work schedules going forward due to social distancing, do you plan to incorporate anything you've learned in the past months going forward?

------------------------------
    Maria Richardson
    Records Manager
    Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler

• 2.  RE: What has Remote Work Done for you?

Posted 10-02-2020 13:53
    I have appreciated the integration of work with personal life in being able to do a load of laundry while participating in a meeting, and going for a walk midday.  The blend allows for multitasking whereas pre pandemic, I would come home and do domestic tasks and exercise outside before dark.  It seems I have lengthier conversations with friends and family over the phone than I had before.  I would like to keep these aspects as w e move into a hybrid model.  Although the integration has brought healthier elements, not having a real demarcation between work and personal has at times created an imbalance is putting more attention to work and less real down time.

Lorelei Chernyshov, CIP, IGP
    Merrick Bank
    Assistant Vice President, Information Governance

• 3.  RE: What has Remote Work Done for you?

Posted 10-07-2020 13:29
    In the beginning remote work was fun and comfortable but then reality kicked in.  Having a kiddo starting kindergarten in the virtual space and trying to meet deadlines, help with school, and find time to breathe has been a tad overwhelming.  My husband and I tag team with school between meetings and other business needs and find ourselves working more at night after the kiddo goes to bed to catch up which means fewer bonding moments, more arguments due to stress, and less sleep.  I love that we are home together but frankly I am at the point where I am over it.  Having the ability to work from home is a wonderful thing and I think many companies will see there is no need to pay for expensive real estate when the masses can be productive at home, so this may become our new norm so to speak (I hate that phrase).  I have heard many a podcast and zoom presentation speak about the possibly of having staff only come into offices for meetings from time to time to bond as a team in the future and remain working from home as a primary driver.  I am not so sure all businesses could sustain that model but the beauty is you then shift to work from anywhere not just home!!

Amy Harrelson