Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only

Controling Your Data Warehouse Data - How are approvals being created and approved?

• 1.  Controling Your Data Warehouse Data - How are approvals being created and approved?

Posted 12-28-2020 18:33

Ladies,

What are you doing to ensure data owners have a say when data is being placed in and used in the data warehouse?  So many times, I see the scenario where John Smith gets data from Anne Jones and she approves his use.  The Bob Smart looks at John's data and decides he wants to use some of it for his reporting.  He goes to John to get approval and not to Anne the original data owner.  This can cause so many issues with the DW environment is both internal and externally facing.  Do you have a workflow for data movement into and manipulation in your data warehouse environment?  Are your data owners the approving party?  Is legal, privacy, infosec, etc. involved to ensure compliance and mitigate risk?  Creating the workflows can be a PITA but hey, so can a multi-million-dollar lawsuit right?  I think the trick is minimizing business impact and delay in making sure your ducks are in a row.  Are you all working thu any of these scenarios right now?  I would love to connect with people dealing with some of these same issues I am.

adh

------------------------------
    Amy Harrelson
    ------------------------------