Special Interest Group: Government

View Only
  • 1.  GoToMeeting: Not the best choice of platforms for govvies?

Posted 10-14-2015 12:39

Planning Team,

I'm concerned that many feds may be unable to access the GoToMeeting platform on their government machines.  The app wants to download something and that's verboden where I work.

I am considering shifting us to the Max.gov interface:  https://max.gov/maxportal/home.action.  Folks will need an established Max.gov account to use this.

I will bring this up in the planning team's discussion on 15 October, but meanwhile, if you receive this message and can provide feedback, it would be most appreciated.  Also at issue is whether AIIM folks entering from outside the .gov domain can get in.  Will try and play with the system and get some answers to the questions I've proposed.  We will figure this out together!

Join us in the FEDSIG!

Regards,

------------------------------
    Mark Patrick
    Chief, Information Management Division
    Joint Staff, US Department of Defense

• 2.  RE: GoToMeeting: Not the best choice of platforms for govvies?

Posted 10-15-2015 10:23

Uberconference.com is the one I could not remember on our planning call.
    Betsy Fanning, CIP
    Director, Standards and Chapter Relations
    AIIM

• 3.  RE: GoToMeeting: Not the best choice of platforms for govvies?

Posted 10-16-2015 17:41

I'm familiar with UberConference but recall that the free version is limited to 10 callers or something like that.

I believe that Meg and I have come up with a way forward that involves using a defense sponsored site that allows guests with just a URL.  Our second option is AT&T connect.  Which ever one of these we use, we'd like to post the slides and a call-in number on the site.  Will try and finalize all through the weekend and get the information updated on the site by early next week.

Mark Patrick

• 4.  RE: GoToMeeting: Not the best choice of platforms for govvies?

Posted 10-20-2015 16:33

After testing various platforms with Meg, I'm going to use the Defense Collaboration Services site and have set up a room for the FEDSIG.  I've updated the slides and will post them to the site on Wednesday evening.  I've changed the URL for the kickoff event, but I've kept the GoToMeeting dial-up number as an alternative for those with audio problems, or who can't join the URL provided.  They'll be able to use that and the slides.

Let me know if you think there'll be problems with that.

Mark Patrick