National Capitol Chapter

O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

• 1.  O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

Posted 02-20-2019 06:15
    Edited by Jessica Lombardo 02-21-2019 09:28
    We are a non-profit looking to leverage O365 using O365 groups, Teams and/or Sharepoint. We are trying to resolve the need for sharing documents with external users both for just access to the document and for collaboration including simultaneous editing and user managed permissions (as in no IT interference).

Additional use cases include archiving, workflow, comments, tagging/metadata, remote access, subscriptions, versioning (most of these are included in O365).

Our biggest concern is the impact of external user sharing and what "counts" as one of your 5 allowed and what doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions, Don'ts or Do's that we could leverage?  #O365

missions (as in no IT interference).

Additl use cases include archiving, workflow, comments, tagging/metadata, remote access, subscriptions, versioning (most of these are included in O365).

Our biggest concern is the

for just access to the document and for collaboration including simultaneous editing and user managed permissions (as in no IT interference).

Additional use cases include archiving, workflow, comments, tagging/metadata, remote access, subscriptions, versioning (most of these  in O365).

Our biggest concern is the

We are a non-profit looking to leverage O365 using O365 groups, Teams and/or Sharepoint. We are trying to resolve the need for sharing documents with external users both for just access to the document and for collaboration including simultaneous editing and user managed permissions (as in no IT interference).

Additional use cases include archiving, workflow, comments, tagging/metadata, remote access, subscriptions, versioning (most of these are included in O365).

Our biggest concern is the impact of external user sharing and what "counts" as one of your 5 allowed and what doesn't.

Does anyone have any suggestions, Don'ts or Do's that we could leverage?

Finally should we be considering a different platform?

------------------------------
    Mary Margaret Allegro
    Executive Administrator
    American Society of Civil Engineers
    Celebrate AIIM Week w/ 5 Days of Epic Deals

• 2.  RE: O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

Posted 02-21-2019 08:06
    Office 365 has come a long way to handle all your concerns and its pretty easy to manage what you want to do.  Be sure to apply in their NonProfit Portal to get better pricing.  It takes a few days for them to validate your status.  Nonprofit Portal.

Jason Marshall
    Managing Director
    ACES Group

• 3.  RE: O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

Posted 02-22-2019 09:49
    Not entirely sure what you mean by your "5 allowed".  Perhaps you could clarify that.

O365 is built to do exactly what you're describing.  SharePoint and OneDrive both allow users to invite external users to access documents pretty seamlessly.  Teams also allows external user access as well.  I'd suggest starting with a couple of licenses and test-driving as a good way to find out the fit for your organization.  If you have existing on-prem exchange, SP or other infrastructure, you may want to get a MS partner to assess migrating to O365.

Paul Pinkerton
    Project Manager, KnowledgeNow
    Association of Community Legal Clinics of Ontario

• 4.  RE: O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

Posted 02-25-2019 10:27
    Edited by Ariel Brandt Lautman 02-25-2019 10:27
    Hi Paul,
    Could you elaborate a little more on how O365 can handle workflows? I have generally been really happy with O365 and especially Teams, but am finding that it falls short on some automation/ workflow that I think should come naturally (sending an email from Outlook to a Task List in Teams, for example). I've also heard some criticisms of the tagging/meta-data aspects of O365, though this isn't something that I've experimented with much.

Mary Margaret - we have had some great adoption internally with Teams, more so than when we rolled out O365 for document sharing over a year ago. Our internal users seem very excited to use it for document collaboration. We generally use it just for internal staff, rather than trying to invite external uses, but I expect that is functionality that our staff will be looking for soon, I'd be happy to follow up when we have some more data.

Ariel Brandt Lautman
    Association of State and Territorial Health Officials

• 5.  RE: O365 or Something Else - Anyone have lessons learned or suggestions?

Posted 02-25-2019 11:41
    Microsoft has positioned Flow to compliment the other O365 suite products and provide IFTTT type workflow functionality.  It interacts with SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, etc...

These article links provides a pretty decent overview, along with some look at the alternatives (IFTTT, Zapier, etc.)  [no endorsement of article sources intended]:
    https://searchcontentmanagement.techtarget.com/definition/Microsoft-Flow
    https://www.guidingtech.com/58331/flow-microsoft-vs-ifttt-automation/
    https://www.infoworld.com/article/3183299/application-development/if-ifttt-cant-then-microsoft-flow-can.html

I cannot comment on the tagging/ metadata aspects, but since that likely functionality delivered by SharePoint, I suspect that user/ company experience with this may have a lot to do with how it is setup in the first place.  Others will be able to better comment on this.

Paul Pinkerton
    Project Manager, KnowledgeNow
    Association of Community Legal Clinics of Ontario