Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  Teaching machines a subject domain (like oil and gas)

Posted 08-01-2016 07:30

Dear colleagues

I posted a recent article on LinkedIn that you may find of interest.

Teaching machines about a subject domain

LinkedIn Pulse remove preview
    Teaching machines about a subject domain
    There may be opportunities to teach search engines in enterprises about a subject in some detail using machine learning AI techniques. Using unstructured text and certain algorithms can allow the computer to 'learn' as more text is added to the system. In this way these techniques differ from the classic 'expert systems' where people programmed in the domain relationships.
    View this on LinkedIn Pulse >

Regards, Paul

------------------------------
    Paul Cleverley
    Robert Gordon University

• 2.  RE: Teaching machines a subject domain (like oil and gas)

Posted 08-08-2018 21:04
    Hi Paul -

I recently attended a presentation given by Reid Smith of I2KConnect (.com) at the SW Chapter AIIM meeting.  He described how his AI-based platform is being used today to auto-classify and tag content for the knowledge management site sponsored by the Society of Petroleum Engineers.  Very much in line with your comments.

As you mention in your excellent article, the key to success with recognition and classification is domain knowledge.  Such knowledge can only be acquired and made re-usable as a result of iterative interactions between human domain experts and ML software that's working against large volumes of source information.  Domain knowledge doesn't emerge spontaneously from simply doing pattern recognition of document contents.

I2KConnect can also provide domain expertise in the healthcare arena.  Might be useful to you.

Good Luck,

- Mitch

Mitch Shults, RecordPoint Software