Special Interest Group: Oil and Gas

View Only
  • 1.  November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 11-30-2015 03:52

All,

on Friday the November virtual meeting of our SIG took place. For those that could not attend, both the slides and the recording are available via our site: 

http://community.aiim.org/oilandgas/sys/resources/viewdocument?DocumentKey=2998a890-6c4f-474a-844e-9fd67aea1835&CommunityKey=53e9f08b-653b-49ef-b968-e3be3cb3f605

Thanks to Maria Lim for sharing her presentation. Do post questions you may have to her on this forum.

Best regards,

Dennie

------------------------------
    Dennie Heye
    Business Analyst Information Management
    Royal Dutch Shell

• 2.  RE: November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 12-01-2015 09:36

This is interesting and shows how much the SharePoint OOB capabilities can be used to improve business processes.

Julie Hudak
    ECM Governance
    Husky Energy PRIME

• 3.  RE: November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 12-02-2015 04:11

Thanks on your feedback Julie, its great to know that I was able to convey that message within the 30 minutes limit we had on the presentation.

Maria

Maria Concesa Lim
    Senior Information Management and SharePoint Consultant.

• 4.  RE: November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 12-02-2015 04:24

I remember a question was asked about Master Data Management on the Data Management System case study.

First of all the system was really meant to only expose the data on a single platform not host it. So where we can automate the data connectivity we did; where we cannot we implemented a process  of manually uploading data dumps. Secondly and more importantly, from proof of concept to implementation, the project had a data architect as a permanent team member.

Apologies that I could not give more in-depth details on each case study within the 30 minutes as I was focusing to show the variety.

Maria

Maria Concesa Lim
    Consultant Information Manager
    DataCo Ltd.

• 5.  RE: November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 12-02-2015 04:57

Many thanks Maria for the presentation. Really good.

It's interesting how in the case studies a common success factor was the User Interface, making it easier for end users to access their information. I always hear the phrase 'less is more' and I can see that was the case in your case studies from a UI perspective. Really good.

Also one of the points you raise in Lessons Learned about ensuring the Business have their process established as opposed to expecting the technology to address their processes. It's a challenge I've come across aswell.

One question I had was around the end user training. Was this conducted and if so how especially in the case of global users?

Thanks

Tita Atang
    Senior Consultant
    Venture Information Management

• 6.  RE: November virtual meeting - recording and presentation

Posted 12-04-2015 06:39

Hi Tita,

Thanks so much on your feedback and yes the simplified user interface addresses the enormous challenge of SharePoint with user adoption. On the processes, sad to say it happens all too often and I always have to repeat it every time that SharePoint actually does not create processes that don't exist. What it actually does is highlight the fact that there is no process.

With regards to your question on training I always put in a contextual training plan with the solution which comes in the form of face to face training or e-learning or guidance documents.

To explore this a bit more because this is where companies get confused; there is a big difference between SharePoint Training and Contextual Training on the solution built on SharePoint.

• SharePoint training is available for free on the Microsoft site no company should purchase that, if they want to customise it and just get the functionalities they use then that shouldn't be a big investment.
    • However, where the investment should be made is the contextual training, if you are using SharePoint as an EDRM solution then you need to train users on how it functions as an EDRM solution and why the company needs an EDRM solution.

This is the big debate with requesting for a training budget, most people just ask for a "SharePoint Training" budget which is confusing for IT because it is available online for free. But what they should be asking for is a budget for let's say "EDRM training" using my example, which makes more pragmatic sense on the investment side.

Hope the above helps.

Maria Concesa Lim
    Senior Information Management and SharePoint Consultant