Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Resources

Posted 04-19-2018 18:48
    ​Thank you Heather, Jessica and everyone that participated in the meetings at AIIM. It turned out many of my co-workers attended the conference as well as our panel discussion. I was excited and grateful they attended, but on the other hand, it was important that I focus more of my attention on my team and missed out on further WIIM meetup sessions.

But, I wanted to share 2 of my key resources that I found extremely helpful for my personal growth, survival and work life balance.

Here are a few of my personal favorites:
    Conscious Business by Fred Kofman of LinkedIn
    He has a video program on communications and just published a new video specifically titled "Work-Life Balance: A coaching conversation (11.1) - find him on LinkedIn - follow him and check out his great videos where he will role play with people from Google and LinkedIn to have 'difficult conversations' - great stuff!

Another favorite of mine - Christine Arylo. She has a program called "40 days From Burnout to Balance" - I have participated in a live series event / sessions with woman from all over the World. And also attended a live weekend retreat.

I believe we must give to ourselves first in order to be able to give to others. Sometimes, I forget but my body quickly reminds me.
    It is like meditation or other healthy habits - they require constant work. We all deserve to be our best - to give AND receive.

Maybe we can get her to a WIIM event.

Check out  Feminine Power Time Podcast with Christine Arylo
    Christinearylo remove preview
    Feminine Power Time Podcast with Christine Arylo
    A Super Power Podcast to turn off the outside chatter. Tune into what matters. Sign up for free.
    View this on Christinearylo >
    actually attended a live weekend seminar and then later took her follow up session - which she is offering again later this year.

------------------------------
    Julie Harvey, CIP, IGP
    Ricoh USA - Legal Services Engineer

• 2.  RE: Resources

Posted 04-20-2018 07:44

Good idea to start building a set of resources.  Here are a few of mine:

Be Leaderly by Jo Miller and team.  See here:  http://www.beleaderly.com/

I attended a workshop by Jo at a women in computing conference.  It was eye-opening.  This was several years ago and I continue to subscribe to the newsletter (which is free).  This is a quick way to keep up with the latest strategies for success and becoming a leader and it's targeted to women.  There are paid services available also including coaching and training.

For those interested in further developing their executive presence – whether you want to be an exec or not, read Sylvia Hewlett's book Executive Presence.  It is a quick and easy read and based on a survey and research she did with hundreds of executives, male and female.  The stories are great as are the strategies and the framework she has developed.  Again I saw her speak (excellent and engaging speaker) and immediately went out and bought her book.  I also read it with my mentor and then we had a great discussion on the book.  I have recommended it to multiple people, both male and female.

As a third resource for those interested in the new paradigm of positive leadership, another quick and easy read is Practicing Positive Leadership by Kim Cameron.

Finally I'll end with a short set of philosophies that define my approach to life:

-Carpe Diem!

-Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

-It is easier to apologize than ask permission.

-Well-behaved women rarely make history.

Laura L. Downey, PhD, CIP

Branch Chief

Applied Architecture

OIT/EAD

Transportation Security Administration

Metro Park 2-102 (location)

(571)227-1760 desk

(202)365-8366 iPhone

(703)944-8042 cell

• 3.  RE: Resources

Posted 04-26-2018 18:24
    Julie,
      Thanks so much for sharing Christine Arylo.  I love her already and I just started listening to the podcasts!! ♥

Amy Harrelson
    Austin Energy

• 4.  RE: Resources

Posted 04-30-2018 12:13
    Greetings WIIM community!

I'm so grateful to be working here among this engaged and lively group.

Sharing the Good Life Project podcast and project journal with you.  A personal challenge of my own is staying power and consistency after I have discovered something wonderful.  GLP has proven to be something that I have been so pleased and excited to come back to and learn from each and every time.  Jonathan Fields is the creator of the podcast which was my introduction to thought-provoking, deep conversations with guests of great diversity.  Always love to pick up where I left off, or circle back to highlighted podcast episodes here.  Podcast - Good Life Project
    Good Life Project remove preview
    Podcast - Good Life Project
    Every week, we share inspirational, intimate and disarmingly-unfiltered conversations about living a fully-engaged, fiercely-connected and purpose-drenched life. From iconic world-shakers like Elizabeth Gilbert, Brene Brown, Sir Ken Robinson, Seth Godin and Gretchen Rubin to everyday guests, every story matters.
    View this on Good Life Project >

Sharing here with you because the facets of the Good Life Project Journal touch my work/business launch, my connections with the world and contributions of skills, gifts and intentions.  While GLP's audience is for women and men, guests and conversations build up our communities and connections for inspiration and encouragement.  I especially appreciate how working with the Good Life Project Journal helps me to stay more consistent, despite my own inconsistency!  

For our community in pursuit of soulfulness, well-being and connections - I hope you can check it out.
    GLP Journal

Goodlifeproject remove preview
    GLP Journal
    Good Life Journal will get you going with a simple and fun, science-based 7-minute morning practice that'll set your day up completely differently. And, a 5-minute evening practice that'll help you wind down, let go of the day, and relax into peace, ease and gratitude. Your good life begins today.
    View this on Goodlifeproject >

Wishing everyone an amazing week!

Liz McLean

Elizabeth McLean, MSLS CKM
    Knowledge and Information Strategist
    Knowsaic