Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  Conference Attire

Posted 04-03-2018 15:49
    Hi Ladies,
      This will be my first AIIM conference and I am wondering what you all are wearing.  I have to been to many conferences in the past where some people were decked out in their business best and others were in jeans and polo shirts.  What does one wear to an AIIM conference?

PS - I live down the highway so I know what the weather will be like, just want the scoop on what to wear.

Thanks,
     adh

------------------------------
    Amy Harrelson
    Austin Energy

• 2.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-04-2018 10:17
    This is my first time, as well, but I will be wearing dresses or dressy capris.  I was also told that the air conditioning will be on and so be prepared to bring sweaters or layers so that you don't end up too cold.

Connie Prendergast
    Records Management Clerk
    Flagstaff County
    Sedgewick, AB CANADA

• 3.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-05-2018 02:08
    ​I will be wearing 'business casual'.
    Looking forward to the warm weather (it is cold and rainy here in Germany) and to meeting you.

Kind regards,
    Zsuzsanna

Zsuzsanna Tozser Milam

• 4.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-05-2018 10:21
    ​Over the last few years that I have attended business casual has been the norm.  Definitely dress in layers; the temperature in the various rooms at the conference locations tend to fluctuate.

Carah Koch
    Director, Enterprise Content Management
    Metropolitan Council

• 5.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-06-2018 11:23
    I will be wearing what ever makes me feel amazing.  The burner in me believes that attire is not indicative of ability, so if I wanna dress like a unicorn, I will dress like a unicorn.  I likely won't actually do that mostly because I pack pretty light.  I believe that standard is business casual with a sweater for air conditioned spaces.

Angela Watt
    Information Management Advisor
    City of Spruce Grove
    Spruce Grove, AB Canada

• 6.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-06-2018 12:22
    @Angela Watt-- didn't realizer you were a Burner. If you have the chance, check out the Renwick Gallery (here is DC); they just opened ​the exhibit: No Spectators: The Art of Burning Man. I haven't seen it yet, but went to the opening after party last week hosted by the Meso Creso community and that was an experience in itself. 

Looks fantastic--if not in-person, maybe on instragram. 

Business casual--is generally what we see--and yes, definitely bring a sweater as you never know about the hotel's AC. I'm bringing a casual dress for the Fiesta party Thursday night--only because I'm done being covered head to toe in the cold of DC.

Jessica Lombardo
    Director of Membership
    AIIM

• 7.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-06-2018 12:42
    @Jessica Lombardo I am TOTALLY putting that on my list to see.  Thanks!  Yes, I've been to the big burn, bunch of regionals and sit on the board for the Alberta Region here.  I would love to see that thanks!​

Angela Watt
    City of Spruce Grove

• 8.  RE: Conference Attire

Posted 04-07-2018 13:40
    Just to add another opinion here, business casual or "conference casual" is perfectly fine! Keep in mind, the hotel thermostat is set to 68 degrees, so if you run on the chilly side layers would work :)

Our conference party is "Fiesta fun" so feel free to wear sundresses, sandals, etc as the venue is partly outside and partly inside. I'll be wearing a bright dress to fit in with the Fiesta theme :)

Temps in San Antonio have been in the 80s/90s during the day but cool down to 60s at night.

I hope that helps - can't wait to see you all in San Antonio!!

Allyson Jersky
    AIIM