Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only
  • 1.  SharePoint and O365 for Legal teams

Posted 07-17-2018 11:07
    Does anyone have best practices or case studies in using SharePoint and Office 365 for matter management?

We are using a combination of Gimmal, SP 2013 on prem, and Nintex for our EDRM, have Office 365 rolled out, and everything I find for helping Legal departments or firms seems to be coming from a vendor trying to sell their product. My previous records experience is in medicine, not legal, and I want to make sure I understand the nuances as I assist our legal department (we're a financial services company) in configuring the system to meet their needs as well as our wider corporate and information/records management needs. Our legal team, like many legal teams I have come to learn, is wary of changing systems or being stuck with a one-size-fits-all solution.

Any tips?

------------------------------
    Brooke Sales-Lee
    Toronto, ON

• 2.  RE: SharePoint and O365 for Legal teams

Posted 07-18-2018 08:32
    I do not have case studies - However, in my last job I managed SP for a corporate legal team.  Lessons learned - They will ask for everything including the kitchen sink, but they do not need that!  You need to keep metadata as standardized as possible across libraries - Use document sets, not folders - then you can customize to views based on the individuals needs (or teach them to do so).  We also used task lists to calendar items and send reminders, as well as I built a billing system that routed invoices through a three stage workflow approval process.  Training is key, because people will be resistant.  If you have Gimmal and Nintex, you are ahead of the game!  I would also take a look at Matter Center, which is a Matter Management platform that Microsoft's internal legal team created for their use, and then released as open source - It contains much of what you would need as a corporate legal dept.

Susan Gleason CIP, CRM, IGP
    Manager, Information Governance
    Shipman & Goodwin LLP

• 3.  RE: SharePoint and O365 for Legal teams

Posted 07-19-2018 09:55
    That's really helpful, thanks. My team is working with our infrastructure team to leverage technology to our best advantage, so we will look at Matter Center together.

Brooke Sales-Lee