Special Interest Group: Women in Information Management (WIIM)

View Only

DoD Records and Information Management Challenges

• 1.  DoD Records and Information Management Challenges

Posted 04-24-2018 18:22

In the DoD space, I see RIM related or affecting "automation" coming from a few places and would like to explore what that means to better managing the information flowing through the digital pipes.

1) Homegrown - buried in some generic support contract or generic IT support. There is no specific funded requirement for RIM, but there may be some purchases (not acquisitions) of RIM supportive stuff like data bases, office tools, archives. And there may be internal developments going on. We have these at JITC and I've seen them at DHA and other places.   Here the people providing the solutions may not even be IT in the traditional sense. It may be a special projects group. And Records and Information Management gurus won't be invited into the table because even if someone thinks about it "they just make things harder." How do we reach these areas?

2) Part of another IT-related acquisition - This is what OMB-A130 targets. Build in RIM, don't bolt it on. These are funded programs and should have some sort of Information Support Plan that includes RIM aspects.  Primarily the focus has been interoperability, at least from my test-centric perspective.

3) Purpose built/acquired - These are specific content management solutions that can be configured to support RIM. Many COTS fit here and are generally included as basis or components for the acquisitions mentioned in 2). Or they may be a stand-alone purchase to just do RM or CM or DM or ?

4) RIM Services/micro services - This may be emerging related to content content services. Because of the fundamental nature of services, I want to say that this perspective will help guide us to architected, engineered, integrated, interoperable and curated information ecosystems. But, because of what I've experienced with DISA's implementation of services, the integration, interoperability, and curation happen at the desktop via the bio-component. Certainly not acceptable.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Observations? 

------------------------------
    Jana Gallatin
    test officer
    DoD 5015.02
    ------------------------------