DC Metro Area: National Capital Chapter NCC-AIIM

1.  Learning more about Digital Asset Management

Posted 01-05-2018 15:55
Hi

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the company I work for now has decided to let me go. I started off as a graphic designer, and had been in this field for at least 15 years. And a few years ago, I was itching for a change, and they created an opportunity for me to be a digital asset manager. I knew basically nothing about this field, and have basically just been learning as I go by participating in the various vendors' free webinars, and also attended the Henry Stewart DAM conference in NYC. and i'm just now finally feel like i'm finally getting a good understanding of what the industry is.

During the last two years, I also did a big undertaking of where there were 3 servers, all organized completely different, and a lot of outdated materials. And basically spent a lot of time sorting, reorganizing, restructuring and merging these files into one new server. They're still on a file system -- but not without me trying to get them to pick a DAM - however, they want it to be a global solution, which is going to take them much longer than anticipated. So they don't see a need for me despite the fact that the team of 60 plus people still ask me for where things are, and for me to find materials from other departments on a daily basis.

Right now i'm a bit overwhelmed because i'm trying to figure out my next steps.. i like to do a little bit of everything. The couple things  I plan to do is learn google analytics and also SQL. I'm also looking into the CIP certification - but the course itself is out of my budget for the time being due to not having a job yet. I'm looking at jobs, and finding that i really do need more experience or at least more knowledge.

I'd appreciate any advice and guidance that you can give me as I'm feeling quite like a fish out of water!

Thank you!

------------------------------
Erin Perkins

2.  RE: Learning more about Digital Asset Management

Posted 01-05-2018 17:02
Erin,

Thanks for being so open and sharing your story! Hoping others can help on here as well.

Regarding the CIP, I definitely encourage you to download the study guide, which really takes you step by step through the areas of the test. It's completely free for professional members. With my experience working at AIIM--conferences, chapter meetings, and learning from others, I found after taking the practice exam--I knew enough to pass the CIP exam. The practice test also showed where I needed to spend more time in the Study Guide. So you may know more than you think.

I'd also advise you to go to the next chapter meeting in the DC area--a lot of connected and creative folks--and the speaker is really great as well. Connections are key in job searches; definitely continue to reach out and connect in person.

Finally, join the Women In Information Management community under the communities section here. Maybe not immediate return, but this group is growing and will offer some great shared resources.

Best wishes and I hope this helps!

Jessica Lombardo, CIP
Director of Membership
AIIM

3.  RE: Learning more about Digital Asset Management

Posted 01-08-2018 10:10
thank you! this is a huge help and is helping me understand things. It's a challenge navigating a new world to me, but i know i can do it! i appreciate your input!

and will join the group you recommended!

Erin Perkins

4.  RE: Learning more about Digital Asset Management

Posted 01-08-2018 14:11
Our next event is on the 18th!  Would be great to see you there.  Details: 

https://www.meetup.com/DC-Information-Professionals-NCC-AIIM/events/245727527/ 

Mark Patrick

Join your fellow Information Professionals for a night of networking, sharing, and learning. We'll start off with food and drinks at 5pm with our program starting at 6.