Blogs

Bye Bye SharePoint – You can’t say you weren’t warned! by Carla Mulley

By Cate Evans posted 12-11-2014 05:39

by Carla Mulley - carlam@conceptsearching.com 

I read an excellent Gartner document entitled, ‘Redefine Microsoft’s Role in Your Web Strategy as SharePoint Moves to the Cloud’. Access to the document requires you to be a Gartner client. But, I’ll share the scoop. The summary: “Thousands of organizations counting on SharePoint as the basis for their websites and portals will have to revise their plans. Microsoft is pushing SharePoint users toward a cloud-based offering that doesn’t support the customization, integration and innovation their initiatives require.” Wow.

I think most SharePoint clients and professionals already knew that. If not, they should. What are the impacts that Gartner was able to identify?

• Many organizations using SharePoint for portal and website initiatives will find a collaboration-focused, cloud-based SharePoint unsuitable to their unique needs.
  • Due to Microsoft pushing SharePoint into the cloud, Web leaders can no longer expect SharePoint to provide suitable content management for most customer-facing websites and digital marketing efforts.
  • Organizations that have invested in custom development or third-party add-ons will be forced to revise their existing codebases and change future custom development.

I’ve grown rather fond of SharePoint over the years. I guess, there comes a time when all things come to an end. But, back to the real world, reading the hand-writing on the wall, is your organization making any plans for doomsday when SharePoint is no more? Although still in the distant (or not so distant) future, is your organization aware of and facing any of the obstacles of replicating your on-premise SharePoint to Office 365?

www.conceptsearching.com

0 comments