Blogs

Gotcha! You're Captured!

By Bob Larrivee posted 11-24-2014 08:36

Capture is one of the most vital aspects of an ECM environment yet when I talk to folks about their capture strategies, I often get a blank stare. “Strategy? Capturing content is our strategy. We have to do it”.  This is not the answer I hope for. 

Capture these days encompasses not only paper but also digitally born content. A capture strategy should include discussions about both, along with why, what, and how to capture. It should also include discussions of where to capture content, at what stage in a process? Generally, the capture of content should happen at the first touch point. For example, the minute a paper document enters the organization, say the mailroom or field locations.

In the digital world, the minute there is business value within the document, and it is saved. In some cases regulatory guidelines dictate the when, as in any content, even in draft form may be a matter of public record for a government entity and must therefore be captured immediately. In the private sector, drafts may not be relevant and only the finished product need be captured. This is part of the discussion that needs to take place.

In my view, there is much to consider about capture in both forms. The strategy discussion should help to develop policies and processes related to capture, in a way that supports the overall needs of the organization. Capture at first touch point brings valued content into the process and under organizational control early on, placing it under content management control, minimizing the risk of loss, and making it immediately accessible to all who have the need for it. When possible, use off recognition technologies for data extraction, and automation of the capture process yields even greater benefit through streamlining, improved operational efficiency, and increased accuracy. 

Scan, save, or whatever the chosen method, you must take time to plan for capture and align it to support your organizational requirements. Capture is not a just do it scenario, it is a vital part of an ECM environment that provides great benefit. Those organizations taking time to focus on capture truly can yell out, Gotcha! For those who have not taken the time, perhaps you should and see for yourself how much of a difference it will make to capture early, and efficiently.

What say you?

Do you have a story to tell? What are your thoughts on this topic? Do you have a topic of interest you would like discussed in this forum? Let me know. If you are looking for some great research information from our industry, feel free to visit our research site and download some of our Industry Watch Reports today at www.aiim.org/research

Bob Larrivee, Director of Custom Research – AIIM
Email me:
 blarrivee@aiim.org

Follow me on Twitter – BobLarrivee
www.aiim.org/training  

0 comments